Monday, June 16, 2008

Strawberry Jam Extravaganza


With strawberries in season, and knowing that they are one of our families favorite, we decided to make strawberry jam this year. By the time I got my camera out to cherish some of these memories, we were onto batch # 3!


Here is our little chef! Blake loves to help in the kitchen. Any chance he can get to cut, stir, measure and pour, He'll do it. Makes my job a little easier and I always enjoy the company. :)

Blake also thinks it's great that he's graduated from the use of a butter knife to an actual paring knife. He did a fabulous job on cutting most of the strawberries.

And of course, he had to sample a few along the way.

When he got tired of slicing strawberries, Dad & McKenna stepped in with the crinkle cutter and saved the day. Needless to say, we had berries everywhere!

McKenna loves to bake and follow a good recipe. She's always very precise with her measurements. Here, she is measuring out the sugar for the jam.

After we had finished making jam, I asked the kids if they would write their own recipe for Strawberry jam. I've included those creative recipes for you to enjoy. ( You can double click on their recipes to see them bigger.)
This is McKenna's recipe.
This is Blake's recipe.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Hi Paige! I saw your comment on Sarah's blog and thought I'd check out your blog. Your kids are so cute. Are you guys still in Boise? Nice to take a peek at your family! Jen

K. Lou said...

So great! your kids are lucky to have such a fun mom. I am feeling guilty for shooing my kids out of the kitchen for such tasks so I can get the job done faster. Lesson learned. next time Emma can use the chopper. the pictures are so great--look at you, the expert blogger.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

This looks like it was ALOT of fun. I will have to make some time and do something like this with the girls. When do we get a jar?? hehe...love ya guys

Tammy said...

I loved reading McKenna's and Blake's recipes. With such great directions as theirs, I could probably even make strawberry jam!

Gun Totin' Idaho Democrat said...

I've had this jam! It's wonderful! Nice job McKenna and Blake!

Grampa

Gun Totin' Idaho Democrat said...

I like the music that's been added! Especially the version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"! One of my favorites! Also "What a Wonderful World." Also KT's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree!"--- I'm not to sure about the rap/jungle stuff by Shakira however. Must be too old for that kind of music.

I Love You!
Grampa

Mom and dad said...

we have had quite a time trying to post comments. Love the pictures

sariah said...

Hailey and I were looking through your archives and enjoying looking at the clogging clip of McKenna's duet. She's an awsome clogger, by the way!
Then I had to make a quick comment here because I love that you had them write up the recipe from memory. And they did a great job putting it in paragraph form and organizing their thoughts! I think I may borrow that idea some time.